The home of Australian Hot Rodding on the Net
Hot-Rod Internet Bench Racing
Welcome to the only Aussie Rodders Forum on the Internet
 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Register 
 ProfileProfile   Login to check your private messagesLogin to check your private messages   Login 
HOT ROD
HOT ROD SWAP MEET
SWAP MEET

Fitting a intake manifold

 
       Hot-Rod Internet Bench Racing Forum Index -> Engine and Drivetrain
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
spark
Cruisin



Joined: 13 Jun 2021
Posts: 312
Location: Lakes Entrance Victoria, Australia

Posted: Thu Mar 25, 2021 1:07 pm    Post subject: Fitting a intake manifold

I an in the process of fitting a new aluminium intake manifold on my 302 Win.

Do the threads on the 8 centre studs that screw into the block need to be sealed?

Will Teflon tape do the job?

The old manifold had 4 studs and 8 bolts the new intake has 12 studs and nuts (chrome)

Also the instructions say-
icon_arrow.gif “ Apply a Ό inch wide bead of oil-resistant RTV-silicon sealant to front and rear block sealing surfaces, making sure to overlap manifold gaskets at all four corners. Do not use cork or rubber seals.”

Are they saying to discard the gaskets on the front and rear sealing surfaces and just use the RTV silicon? (the old one had gaskets front and rear).
_________________
ANY info or comments are most welcome.
Back to top
choco
700RPM



Joined: 11 Jun 2021
Posts: 795
Location: Queanbeyan, NSW (on the ACT border)

Posted: Thu Mar 25, 2021 2:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Fitting a intake manifold

spark wrote:
I an in the process of fitting a new aluminium intake manifold on my 302 Win.

Do the threads on the 8 centre studs that screw into the block need to be sealed?


No. Just smear a bit of oil on them.

spark wrote:
Will Teflon tape do the job?


I wouldn't. Teflon tape should only be used on threads where fluids under pressure are present, like oil lines.

spark wrote:
The old manifold had 4 studs and 8 bolts the new intake has 12 studs and nuts (chrome)

Also the instructions say-
icon_arrow.gif “ Apply a Ό inch wide bead of oil-resistant RTV-silicon sealant to front and rear block sealing surfaces, making sure to overlap manifold gaskets at all four corners. Do not use cork or rubber seals.”

Are they saying to discard the gaskets on the front and rear sealing surfaces and just use the RTV silicon? (the old one had gaskets front and rear).

I don't know about that. The factory gaskets are about 3mm thick (the cork or rubber ones at the front and rear) and only using silicone would mean the seal would not be under pressure. Maybe the manifold is manufcatured to be a butt-fit between the manifold and the block, using a film of silicon as the seal. I'd double-check if I were you. I've had factory 4 barrel, weiand and offenhauser manifolds on my old Windsor, and all used a 4 piece gasket set.

Windsor manifolds are a pain in the arse to seal properly front and rear. When I had to replace the gaskets on my 36 coupe a few times, this is what I learnt:
The silicon sealant is used to seal the gap where the cork or rubber gasket meets the intake manifold gasket at the front and rear. Use a smear of silicon on both the surfaces of the cork or rubber gasket and the CLEAN surface of the block, mainly to hold it in place when the manifold goes on. Then use a squeeze of silicon on the corners and work it in a bit. Plonk the manifold down square if you can - don't move it from side to side, or the gaskets will shift. Use Hylomar to seal the main intake gaskets. Don't compromise - go and get a tube of Hylomar NOW! Gasket goo is NO GOOD!
If you find the two rear spark plugs start to foul in a hundred ks or so, then you know you've got another leak.
Remember - Proper Planning Prevents Piss Poor Performance.
_________________
<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>
Frank Choco Munday, Technical Author
Hot Rod Handbooks
Phone: 0412 883 235 or (02) 6255 9810
Carburettors SUCK!
<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>
Back to top
spark
Cruisin



Joined: 13 Jun 2021
Posts: 312
Location: Lakes Entrance Victoria, Australia

Posted: Thu Mar 25, 2021 3:35 pm    Post subject:

I have- LOCTITE automotive No.3 non-hardening gasket sealant (to place gasket)

And – LOCTITE COPPER MAXX RTV silicon – high temp. (to seal 4 corners)

Will this do?

It’s a Power+Plus intake it does have provision for machining for injectors so may up grade later on.
_________________
ANY info or comments are most welcome.
Back to top
choco
700RPM



Joined: 11 Jun 2021
Posts: 795
Location: Queanbeyan, NSW (on the ACT border)

Posted: Fri Mar 26, 2021 7:22 am    Post subject:

spark wrote:
I have- LOCTITE automotive No.3 non-hardening gasket sealant (to place gasket)

And – LOCTITE COPPER MAXX RTV silicon – high temp. (to seal 4 corners)

Will this do?


Use whatever you like, but I wouldn't use anything else but Hylomar on Windsor intake gaskets, as it's the only stuff that I KNOW works the way it should, and that's been through experience.

spark wrote:
It’s a Power+Plus intake it does have provision for machining for injectors so may up grade later on.


Hmmmm, methinks you should bite the bullet now, while you have the manifold off. Go on, get injected! It won't hurt!
_________________
<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>
Frank Choco Munday, Technical Author
Hot Rod Handbooks
Phone: 0412 883 235 or (02) 6255 9810
Carburettors SUCK!
<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>
Back to top
Display posts from previous:   
       Hot-Rod Internet Bench Racing Forum Index -> Engine and Drivetrain All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

 
Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Powered by phpBB 2.0.1 © 2001, 2002 phpBB Group