The home of Australian Hot Rodding on the Net
Hot-Rod Internet Bench Racing
Welcome to the only Aussie Rodders Forum on the Internet
 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Register 
 ProfileProfile   Login to check your private messagesLogin to check your private messages   Login 
HOT ROD
HOT ROD SWAP MEET
SWAP MEET

"HOT ROD HOONS" Who are they?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 
       Hot-Rod Internet Bench Racing Forum Index -> Hot Rods Customs and Classics
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Guest






Posted: Tue Apr 20, 2021 8:56 pm    Post subject:

mmmm...devils avocado.
Back to top
Outback
Rookie


Joined: 06 Mar 2021
Posts: 70
Location: Nhulunbuy

Posted: Tue Apr 20, 2021 10:01 pm    Post subject:

I'd just like to say thanks to all of you out there, who give a damn, and speak up for everyone who loves this sport/hobby (insert what ever you like to call it ) and defend it so that we can enjoy it for years to come, onya guys,
Carps & Choco, great insight

Outback
_________________
For Eva Fours!!!
CR&C;
Soggy Bottom Boys
Back to top
FRANK BASILE
400RPM



Joined: 07 May 2021
Posts: 408
Location: MELBOURNE

Posted: Wed Apr 21, 2021 10:08 am    Post subject:

I contacted the young journalist involved,and had conversation with him,I did ask the question "do you know what a hot rod is?",his answer was a generic one ,"a hotted up car".I indicated that in all probability the vehicles involved are mostly average late model vehicles with "Auto Barn bolt ons and fancy wheels" .He has been given this website hopefully for better education.................Frank.
_________________
I WAS ACTIVE, RETIRED,NOW REACTIVATED.
Back to top
peddro
Abstainer


Joined: 14 Jun 2021
Posts: 207
Location: Mt. Waverley VIC AUSTRALIA

Posted: Wed Apr 21, 2021 10:36 am    Post subject:

Nice work Frank.
_________________
Wayne Hadfield - Kustom Ink
Back to top
Pep
700RPM



Joined: 14 Jun 2021
Posts: 726
Location: Georges Hall, NSW

Posted: Wed Apr 21, 2021 10:45 am    Post subject:

I've read all thats been said but its too hard to highlight each statement for direct comment, so I willgive a generic one...
Back when I was young there was the samething happening as now...Young guys doing illegal things with cars...I done some,but not all. There was a diner here called Big Chiefs and it was always in the press and news about the antics evolving from there. Yeah, even dieso on the Parramatta road...Also it was the gathering point for the drags at brickies later on in the night.....I can't see any difference now to what the young guys are doing, except back then it was referred to as hoons with hotted up cars, not hot rods. We can blame our brothers over in the US for bastardising the definition...and as we all know, we follow along eventually.
Just a point that Chappo said about route66 diner...I know of one rodder in a certain Chev that used to mingle in with those street machiners, he even participated in the street drags....he is a self centred goose and I have no more time for him...his attitude was...no one can tell me what to do. He has no concern about our hobby and how he affects it.
_________________
See ya
Pep
Back to top
TJ'S Dad
Rookie


Joined: 28 May 2021
Posts: 65
Location: AMPITHEATRE VICTORIA

Posted: Wed Apr 21, 2021 12:50 pm    Post subject:

onya frank... sheesh when u get ya fangs into something u follow it thru

hope i never get on the recieving end !!
_________________
I'd rather a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotamy !


Mike
Back to top
FRANK BASILE
400RPM



Joined: 07 May 2021
Posts: 408
Location: MELBOURNE

Posted: Wed Apr 21, 2021 3:19 pm    Post subject:

It,s just that when idiots do silly things and their actions cause an adverse image on a group or organisation that they have no nexus with,then those affected should strike a blow swiftly,In this case a journalist with youthful innocence had his description wrong. I Myself included after reading some "confessions" on this thread have done some ,in hindsight actions boardering on lunacy,like racing a fellow Customline driver from the RAAF Base at East Sale on a Friday afternoon to "civilisation".This was at a time when there was no speed limit ceiling on our highways,and no bypass roads around the towns on the way,observing the town limits and going helter skelter on the open road,1hour and 19mins was the time recorded one afternoon from the gates at the base to the clock at Dandenong,these actions would only bring ourselves into disrepute,not an organisation,unless we were in uniform..................Frank
_________________
I WAS ACTIVE, RETIRED,NOW REACTIVATED.
Back to top
Mick Kelly
Rookie


Joined: 10 Jun 2021
Posts: 53
Location: Elmore (between Echuca and Bendigo)

Posted: Wed Apr 21, 2021 5:29 pm    Post subject: Hot Rod Hoons Who Are They?

Good point Carps, yes I do remember my youth. Much of it which was spent cruising and engaging in what "old people" would no doubt call antisocial behaviour but we did not throw glass stubbies out of the window when we were finished with them.

This was a danger to pedestrians and the tyres of other road users.
Not to mention the fact that a lot of these dropkicks were obviously drinking and driving.
_________________
Old age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill.
Back to top
Jimmy B
Just Idling



Joined: 01 Feb 2021
Posts: 178
Location: Tweed Valley, NSW, Australia

Posted: Thu Apr 22, 2021 8:00 am    Post subject:

I never felt invincible in a car only on my motorbike out in the bush.
when I was 15, 2 months before my 16th and my L permit a girl I knew, & went to school with was Killed in a car accident in which her P plate boyfriend was driving (His mums Laser) so from then on I never wanted to get my licence up until recently when my parents moved out on to a farm. I was happy to just work on and fix cars but now I realise that I need a licence.

So whenever I hear about wankers acting like complete and utter tools I hope they get the book thrown at them! Most of these idiots are in lasers, crapadores, hyundais etc with no mods other than a steza (stereo) and they get called Hot Rods, Street Machines, what a joke. What we need is a governing body that will actually take cases like this where the media recklessly refer to everyday cars as Hot Rods & make them responsible for their journalistic licence which could have an adverse effect on our hobby/lifestyle! (oops! just realised Frank wrote a similar paragraph above sorry )

Also as Frank said the Police Superintendent knows Hot Rodders don't do the things that were writen! So at least we don't have to win the cops over!

I've voiced my opinion!
_________________
HOT RODS, YOU GOTTA LOVE THEM!!!!
http://www.users.bigpond.com/designjp/index.html
Back to top
Guest






Posted: Fri Apr 23, 2021 4:13 pm    Post subject:

On the topic of journalists and the print media, I was just looking on the HAMB & there's a link to a column " fredoneverything " where a bloke called fred tells it like it apparently is.
An oozing of grey sludge is what the article is called, very interesting. as he says, when you know the facts behind a story and then read about it in the paper, it's rarely the same.
Back to top
Carps
1000RPM



Joined: 07 Dec 2020
Posts: 1389

Posted: Mon Apr 26, 2021 3:25 am    Post subject:

choco wrote:
Well, not quite. Most of the movie (and it's MY favourite, too) involves cruising and girls.

Umm, yeah and isn't that supposed to be the 'problem' in Chappel St?

Quote:
.... but even Milner has respect for the law, which does not exist in the kids today.

Probably because like Milner they just filed it "over there under CS." Yup, most respectful, sir.

Quote:
Yes, this movie depicts some of the behaviour that was common place in my teen years, but I can honestly say that the antics of the car-youth in Canberra are not the things I would have done in my day. Dieso burnouts,

Hmmm, I have recollections of the first couple of Street Rod Nat's in Narranderra and then of course there was the reading of the riot act in Mildura. We can't hide from the facts and the facts are no matter how much we deny involvement, we were not only there, some of us were egging on the participants and others were actively participating.

Quote:
donuts in the main street

Heck, down this end of the world, any opportunity to hang a smoker was not to be missed.

Quote:
and the violence is not reflective of my youth.

Believe me, it was there. And it was for no reason at all. I can recall copping a smack in the chops simply for being on the same footpath as one fellow who at the time was both much older and larger than me. Funny thing was I know him and my old man had already taught me to not get mad, just even. Took a few years, and I'll bet he still doesn't know who poured brake fluid over his new paintjob. And I also know a few girls who were violently raped during the period of my youth, so we can't stick our heads in the sand and say things were different then,because they were not. The only difference was the didn't beat them up so much and news didn't travel so fast as it does today.

Quote:
It was the Chuck Now Chinese restaurant.

Call me a pedantic bastard but, it was definitely the 'Chop Meow Chinese Restaraunt' and it was located right next door to the 'Parthenon Milk-Bar' in Hunter St. where the cool blokes cruised in their hot FJ Holdens with chrome plated grease nipples and twin overhead foxtails.

Quote:
And the tongue-in-cheek way that it was depicted was exactly that - tongue-in-cheek - not the blatantly threatening tone that seems to be all too common with the kids these days.
By some strange coincedence my very own hot FJ just happened to have two fox tails on the antenna and chrome plated grease nipples, as well as a big sticker in the back window that read.... "yawannaaveagodoyamate?" Yup, I was there large as life and right in the midst of it, and I'll concede I've not experienced how they do it nowadays in Chappel St. However, from what I have observed of young people, I doubt it's any more threateneing than our own 'tongue in cheek' version.

Quote:
I think there will always be room for the odd Milner or two, don't you?

Yeah, but is there room for more than one Carps?

Quote:
He did, however, cop a few bad experiences with other revellers, but only a distinct group (which I shall not describe, as that would be deemed racist) but generally, I think it was mostly the same kind of thing we did in the 60s and 70s.

Guess what? Even the 'racist' bit is unchanged from 'our time' just ask blokes like 'Chopper' Katsanis what sort of crap they had to put up with from us 'skips'.

Quote:
Mind you, I was in the Navy at 15, so I didn't have that much time in suburbia to become a problem!

Maybe that's why you seem to see elements of the past thru rose coloured glasses.

Quote:
I think a lot of the problem is due to the politically correct manner in which we address our social justice system.

I think some of the problem is that the area in question is a well known and very large 'gay' community and many of those people feel threatened by what they call 'macho' or hetro behaviour.

Quote:
Everyone has "rights" and the minority groups exercise those rights in any way they can to draw attention to their gripe(s).

See my comment above. It'd do some of the minority groups good to understand that like them, the cruisers have the right to cruise! At least until driving a car at slow speed is outlawed as is driving one at high speed. And if their freedonm to cruise is taken away, so is ours.

Quote:
Our society has evolved to the point where discipline is a dirty word, there is no respect for the law and "live and let live" no longer has any meaning. I agree with your point of view, Carps, but I think it should be tempered with the fact that today's youth have a different attitude to society than we did in our day.

And who was it changed this? Yup, us little baby boomers who want the very best for our kids, are the ones responsible for their attitudes and behaviour. They didn't learn it from their peers, they learned it just like we learned, from the generation of adults that went before us.

Quote:
Flexing one's developing ego muscle is the basis for teenage rebellion, but keeping it in check is no longer possible. Parents and police are powerless, schools have become a social engineering tool rather than an institution of learning and discipline and the society we have created has disabled our once strong values.

And considering who it was changed all this, where do we get off blaming our kids, for our lack of leadership and discipline?

Who is it makes the schools what they are? Isn't it up to us as parents to run the education system? Yeah, I know I sent my kid to a private schools, and bugger me, she's not only disciplined, she has respect for adults and the law. She also has respect for her peers and a level of maturity that I never knew when I was her age.

Fact is, our kids attitudes and behaviour is down to us, we can't keep blaming everybody else for it.
_________________
Carps
Back to top
Carps
1000RPM



Joined: 07 Dec 2020
Posts: 1389

Posted: Mon Apr 26, 2021 3:48 am    Post subject:

Mr Model A wrote:
Who amongst us is old enough to remember a game played with cars called " CHICKEN " .
This was played in the main street of Dandenong ( south east of Melb. ) and involved 2 cars driving straight at each other until one turned off, he was then the "chicken".

It was also played on the Port fairy Road, just out of Arrarat, and I'm pretty sure it was played in many other towns across the country.

Quote:
This was told to me by my older brother and apparently happened in the late 50's early 60's, this and other goings on were very anti-social, but then they grew up to be respectible, lawn bowls playing oldies


yeah, I could never understand how come my old man always seemed to know, what I was going to do before I even knew myself. My grandfather put me in the picture once he figured I was smart enough to understand. Turned out to be a simple case of been there done that, now I do it to my own offspring.
_________________
Carps
Back to top
Carps
1000RPM



Joined: 07 Dec 2020
Posts: 1389

Posted: Mon Apr 26, 2021 3:53 am    Post subject:

Mr Cool wrote:
... but tagging hoons as hotrodders is just not on.

When the dictionary says a hot rod is a car modified for extra speed or performance, then what else can any journalist call these young people driving cars that have been modified for performance and speed?

Quote:
If you know that dumbass journo's contact details post it here so w can all set him straight. Maybe if enough people actually haunt him over this mistake, he'll certainly remember it next time and it may not happen again from him at least anyway.

Maybe he'll get the shits and use every opprtunity he gets to give us a hard time too. Take a look around at some of the 'media heavyweights' and not their moduc operandi.
_________________
Carps
Back to top
Carps
1000RPM



Joined: 07 Dec 2020
Posts: 1389

Posted: Mon Apr 26, 2021 4:01 am    Post subject:

FRANK BASILE wrote:
He has been given this website hopefully for better education.................Frank.


Good work Frank, thanks for caring enough to act.

Interesting that this young journalist seems not to have a good insight into the way young people attin their pleasures. I'll be interested to see his feature on the topic.
_________________
Carps
Back to top
Carps
1000RPM



Joined: 07 Dec 2020
Posts: 1389

Posted: Mon Apr 26, 2021 4:07 am    Post subject: Re: Hot Rod Hoons Who Are They?

Mick Kelly wrote:
Good point Carps, yes I do remember my youth. Much of it which was spent cruising and engaging in what "old people" would no doubt call antisocial behaviour but we did not throw glass stubbies out of the window when we were finished with them.


I know many who did. Fact is, they were probably in the minority just as kids doing the same thing today are probably in the minority.

Quote:
This was a danger to pedestrians and the tyres of other road users.
Not to mention the fact that a lot of these dropkicks were obviously drinking and driving.

Another interesting topic. In our day from the moment we obtained our driver's license we could cruise to th pub and grab a few choobs. Today, a probationary driver is restricted to zero alcohol. That is, one sniff and he or she walks. If they are drinking and driving, then they know the outcome and have no recourse. My experience is that today's kids do not do what we did when it comes to consumption of alcohol and driving cars. Now i come to think of it, the fact they are so restricted probably has a lot to do with how many of our generation were maimed or killed as a result of driving with a skinful.
_________________
Carps
Back to top
Display posts from previous:   
       Hot-Rod Internet Bench Racing Forum Index -> Hot Rods Customs and Classics All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

 
Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Powered by phpBB 2.0.1 © 2001, 2002 phpBB Group